Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Shrewsbury, MA
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help improve the visual aspects in your home. One problem homeowners have with wood windows is the possibility for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their food from wood, which could cause homeowners a lot of headaches when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get close to your home. Here are a few ideas from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help reduce the probability of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a pathway to get to the house. Especially for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also search for water and moisture, so it’s crucial to make certain your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and permit air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Full gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are near the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their ideal chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Shrewsbury has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can look at your home for any current termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avert any damage, visit the Shrewsbury showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our experts offer a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at (508) 925-7149 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.