There is a moment every Shrewsbury winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and cold, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Shrewsbury home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with workable capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Shrewsbury to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to address the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Shrewsbury a call at (508) 925-7149 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.