Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Shrewsbury, MA?
Ready or not, the colder weather is coming to Shrewsbury and you can still find time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors will help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from entering the home when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient options.
If you want more information about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Shrewsbury at (508) 925-7149.